Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2021

Three Seasons in Jerusalem

 https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20190411-why-shtisel-has-captured-the-global-imagination

I've watched the first two seasons of Shtisel, a series that's introduced me to the culture of ultra-orthodox Jews living in Jerusalem.  The main characters are Rabbi Shtisel (recently widowed) and his adult children and their children.  

As one of the women asks another after her husband leaves her, "Why are we like this?  Why do we suffer exactly like the non-religious women?

"He will come back, I promise," her friend said--having been through the same thing.

"The problem is, I don't want him back.  Why do we have to take them back after they treat us like this and pretend we like it?"

This conversation is one of the many things I love about this series.  As different as their culture is from ours, the human condition is universal just wearing different clothes depending on our tribes. 

It's a story of family, rituals, and strict expectations for children to follow the Jewish laws.  It's about the clashes between generations.  Do I follow my own dreams (to be an artist or singer, for example) or do I give up who I am to satisfy the expectations of my people?  Do I wait until I find someone I love, or do I marry the person my parents and the matchmaker find for me?





No comments: