Pages

Friday, April 16, 2021

The finale

The first two seasons of Shtisel had 12 episodes, so I was prepared for 12 in Season 3.  Season 3 was filmed four years after Season 2 and during the pandemic, and it only contained 9 episodes. I didn't want to let these people go.  I didn't want it to end.  

Spoiler alert in case you're watching: 

The finale was perfect. Alone in his apartment, wondering where everyone had gone, the elder Shtisel said to his son, Akiva, and his rascal of a brother (Akiva's uncle): "Nobody ever leaves.  Every man is a graveyard of of his parents, grandparents, wife or husband, and children.  They are all here, all the time."  (I'm paraphrasing.)

All the chairs around the table then fill up with the living and the dead.  

Since eating, drinking, and smoking are major scenes throughout,  it was fitting that the gathering of four generations happens at a dining table. I hope they make a follow-up season.  



No comments: