Pages

Monday, September 12, 2016

Women Over 80

Bonnie Lyons and Deb Field have been interviewing women over 80 for a project that highlights the wisdom and wonderfulness of older women.

These women--a decade or more ahead of us--are diverse and inspiring.   Esther is the most senior member of the group, a yoga teacher well into her nineties.  The book includes women who are  Muslim, Christians, Jewish and "none," women who are married, widowed, single and divorced, women of different ethnicities and professions and histories.  While I wasn't present for the interviews, I've so enjoyed hearing bits of their stories as I've taken their pictures in their houses!

The book is closing in toward publication and I took my final photographs yesterday.

I won't say more about the people or give their full names without permission, but will let you know when the book is complete. I'm honored, amateur photographer that I am, to have been asked to photograph these women.

But I will share a few shots from yesterday-- in the house of a former diplomat whose home is filled with folk art from a lifetime of travel.   This wall of fabric clowns made by her mother-in-law was my favorite.  "If you handed her a few pieces of cloth, she'd stitch you up a clown.  Each face reflects how she felt on the day she made it."




Hats from around the world



No comments: