Pages

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Finders Keepers

When I went to Freda's to make collages, I tossed random items into a box--pages from travel brochures, magazine, etc.

Going through that box, I found three things of interest and decided to keep them intact:

                                                                           1.

Visiting years ago at Carol Ann's house in Georgia, I spied a beautiful old diary on a table. I always look at letters, diaries, post cards, and old photographs in antique stores, so that diary  caught my attention. It's written in a 1931 Warner's Calendar of Medical History by a woman who recounts her days, the weather, visitors and games.  I asked Carol Ann if I could make copies of some of the pages.  Here are two days in the life of one woman, always opening with a mention of the sun rising:

February 16

Sun rose clear.  We've had our breakfast and cleaned up the house dug a little in the yard for the chickens.  Mrs. McShan came over for a little while.  Everything moving along O.K.  Feeling pretty good bug kinder lonesome.  Mother is taking her rest now and I'm going to try and get the Bermuda grass away from our Jonquils.  Mr. Pearson brought the mail.  Still nice the sun set clear.ters.

February 18

The sun rose behind a cloud rained last night. Mr. Geo. Lewis's barn out on his farm burned to the ground last night lost all his feed he has gone out there to estimate the damage.  The McShan twins and Mrs. Lewis have been over to see us this morning.  Have been alone the rest of the day have put in most of the time Writing letters.  Heard Eddie Cantor and Will Rogers over the radio.  Still cloudy and windy and cold at bedtime.

                                                                            2.

                                                      A 52-year old love letter.

Maybe I fell in love with my children's father because he wrote four years of good letters:

"I think sometimes that it's as if we're riding a crashing wave by some contradiction of gravity and that to know gravity might bring it breaking to shore, however there always seems to be a stable power that makes me know we'll always be at the crest...."

Unfortunately, his prediction of always being at the crest didn't come true--but I love the image and love the young man he used to be, writing daily letters from his barracks in far away San Antonio to a high school girl in Georgia.

                                                                            3.

On very thin paper, An invitation from a Japanese person to be a pen friend:

Dear Miss Harris

      How do you do.  I am the girl to whom Miss Cannon introduce you as a pen-friend.  I have wanted to have the pen-friend since I began to study English. My English is very poor, but I write the letter with all my might."







No comments: