Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A cold on a hot day

If you're like me, when you're sick, you don't know what you want.  To be left alone, to be pampered, or to just sleep until it passes.  We're not talking about serious illness here, just a garden variety cold. I had planned to devote these three days to writing but now that my head is full of whatever a head is full of when a cold descends, I can't keep my words from sinking into quicksand and disconnecting from what it was I meant to say.

I'm reading a library book Freda loaned me, She Matters by Susanna Sonnenberg. It is moving, evocative, worth the read for sure.  It reminds me of the chapters of my own life and the friends who've been there with me and for me--and vice versa--through what my friend Mary Locke calls "Life's Rich Pageant."

I got phone calls and e-mails from friends checking up on me, advising sleep and water and Alka Seltzer for colds.  I had a visit from a friend who isn't afraid of germs, she said.  And then Jan--my dear  friend and great cook who lives next door--delivered dinner: sweet potatoes, steamed peas, polenta with spinach and feta, delicious!

Sometimes when we're sick, we need people to tell us what we need. I needed a visit, phone calls, a good book, and polenta covered with spinach and feta cheese.






No comments: