Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

Yenna and Elena at Kiddie Park, Valentines Day 2014





My grandchildren call me Yenna--a name that came from Elena's daddy (at two) trying to say my name, Linda, before he could pronounce Ls.

Elena is particularly proficient at Ls--in English and Spanish.

When Will, at two, was  asked, "What's your mommy's name?" he said "Mommy."  When prompted him that my real name was Linda, he said, "Oh yeah, Yenna."I decided right then and there that Yenna would one day be my grandmother name.

And so it is: to Jackson, 12; Marcus 8; Nathan, 7 in March; and Elena, 2.

Janet O surprised me by stopping by after her gym class--and she rode with me to Helotes to pick up Elena.  Janet Oglethorpe is a baby whisperer best I can tell.  As we were dressing Elena for the trip to Yenna's house, Janet told her that she had puffy sleeves.  Puffy was a new word to Elena. She thought Janet meant puppy and she looked in the creases for Skippy.

"Puffy," Janet said, taking her to the mirror in the bathroom to show her the way the tops of her sleeves were puffy.

Later in the day, after her long bath, while I was dressing her for our trip to Kiddie Park and the train ride, she said, "Janet tell me puffy," and wanted to go to the mirror to check out her wardrobe all over again!

We were playing a car game to keep her from falling asleep on the way back.  I asked her "Do you like hamburgers?" "Do you like noodles?" "Do you like tacos?" and so on.  She answered "No" to every one--so I thought I'd sneak in a trick question and hear another "NO."

"Do you like me?" I asked.

"Yes!" she said.  "I love you, Yenna."

Well, if that won't make a Yenna's day, I don't know what will!


Janet and Elena

No comments: