Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Jan's Amazing Dream

This polenta dish--delivered to the shut-in from my friend Jan--is fantastic!  She actually dreamed the recipe.  I have never in my life dreamed a recipe--but after eating this, I'm going to hope for a kitchen dream.  I could eat this every day.

Here, in her own words, in response to my request for the recipe:

I actually DREAMED that dish on Monday night.  Tuesday I bought the ingredients and made it for my dinner.  I steamed the spinach, then layered the spinach in a small casserole, topped with thinly sliced garlic and sliced fresh tomatoes, topped with feta, then broiled til the feta browned.  I put the whole thing on top of the fried polenta and yes the polenta was homemade.  It’s easy and tastes better than the kind in a tube.  Yum.  Really one of the best things I’ve ever made, and so simple.  I dreamed all but the polenta.

For the polenta:

Buy Bob’s Red Mill Polenta and follow the directions.  Instead of water, I use Central Market Organic Chicken Broth.  It’s easy — just boil, then simmer, like cooking grits, only it takes a little longer.  Then spread the blob of thick polenta in a buttered casserole dish and let it cool.  Then you can cut it, slice it, fry it and find simple happiness.  Jan Schubert Norris

No comments: