Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A tap on the window

Have you ever woken up in the morning feeling like your head is going to explode, for no reason?

This morning, I woke up feeling like if anybody spoke to me I'd bite their head off. I'd had a great day yesterday and there was nothing wrong, just a minor twinge in my driving leg.  I went to the chiropractor; I went to Honda to talk about returning the seven-year warranty I shouldn't have bought; nobody in the realm of business was returning my calls.  The man at the Honda shop tried talking me into keeping the warranty, the way they do, speculating that if the AC went out, the cost of repair would be $2100!

"Is it going to go out?" I asked, foolishly.
"Well, you never know," he said, wisely.  But he knew what he was doing: planting that seed of fear.  I left not knowing whether to keep the warranty or sell it back.

So driving home, I stopped at Target to get a $7 toaster so I could make toast with my gluten-free bread, and then Kate and Sandy called and said, "Let's meet at Beto's" and I said "Okay, but first I have to run back to my house for a minute."

Run must have been the operative word.  Next thing I knew lights were flashing behind me on McCollough and I got a speeding ticket.  Bummer!  Rushing around trying to save money,  I got a ticket for going 50 in a 35 zone.

"Never mind," I texted Sandy and Kate.  "I'm not leaving my house again."  My intention was to sleep off my bad mood, not inflict it on my friends.

So I turned off the phone to take a nap and was snoozing when Sandy tapped on my bedroom window.  "Get up! You've slept long enough!" they said--and came and piled in the bed with me.

We made tea and ate Think Thin bars and now I'm feeling that whatever it was in my buzzing head has gone away.  Sometimes it takes good friends in what Kate calls "the shit-free zone"--friends who ignore your napping sign--to tap on your window and wake you up!






No comments: