Pages

Friday, July 13, 2018

Bakers Joy

As a mostly-gluten-free eater, I don't make cakes very often--though I learned early on that cakes are the pathway to the hearts of men. I made a pound cake two weeks ago and greased the flute pan with coconut oil!  Do not try this at home.  The cake was edible, but had to be carved out of the pan.

So today I bought a product recommended by Pam--a spray called Bakers Joy.  After my last fiasco, I couldn't wait to see if the cake would come out of the pan, and voila!  it did, smooth as butter, this   beautiful and golden pound cake made with whipping cream.

This cake--or a version very much like it-- was always my daddy's favorite and I made them for him anytime he asked--and tried not to eat all the batter.  He liked it hot, right out of the oven, smeared with butter.

July is the month that he died, 17 years ago, and I thought about him, as I always do, with every cup of butter and sugar, every egg. I miss him every day.  He met Jackson as an infant, but he didn't get to meet Marcus and Nathan and Elena.  Elena says she remembers him from Heaven--which may be one reason she's so funny.

I just made the other cake that's a favorite in my family, a chocolate sheet cake. Elena says "all other cakes are gross" compared to it.  Once, when Will had moved to a new fire station, I took one to the station for his birthday, only to find out that it was the wrong station.

No comments: