Pages

Monday, July 30, 2018

My Daddy

Seventeen years ago today my daddy died.  When I think of him, as I do all the time, I remember his crinkly smile, his blue eyes, his constant affection and kindness.

On the anniversary of his death, I remember that awful day when it was clear he wasn't going to get better.  I remember every detail about the intensive care room and the many visitors who came to say good-bye and who sat with us for hours in the hallway outside his room.  I remember Carlene singing to him as he was leaving and saying, "It's been a great trip."

I remember Steve and Linda coming from Cape Cod, Betty from Peachtree City,  and my then-boyfriend Bob from Minnesota.  And Will--who bravely stood in front of a packed church to deliver a eulogy.

On other days, however, I don't remember so much the day he died so much as the days he lived.  He had a huge spirit of love and generosity to his family, and you can see that in the way he almost always has his arm around one or all of in pictures.

So many little things he did stand out for me: taking flowers to widows in the neighborhood; scaling newly-caught fish for Carlene to fry for dinner; standing behind me at the piano and singing hymns, in a voice that sounded like Jim Reeves....

About 20 years ago in this house
Carlene and Lloyd

About 22 years ago, Helotes

69 Years Ago, Holding Me


I won't ever stop missing this man!

No comments: