Pages

Friday, July 6, 2018

Lily

I was all set to go to noon yoga with Jan today, but I woke up and realized that I have sausage fingers due to my gluttony with gluten.  (I thought the rule wouldn't apply since it was a holiday and all--cake at writing group, pizza with Elena, bread at Jan's, bread last night at Bonnie's birthday dinner.). I know better, but sometimes we humans need remediation and reminders.

I decided  to pop in for a quick pedicure--and my favorite nail tech said no problem, I could make it to yoga. I took Jan's book (I'm loving Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen) and proceeded to read, holding up the book conspicuously to avoid talking--which I actually usually enjoy.

Lily is not to be ignored, however.  She has stories to tell, questions to ask.  She told me that when her daughter turns 21, she's going to go every Sunday to nursing homes to give free pedicures.  She told me that she does that every Mother's Day.  She loves her work and she loves her people.

I've tried others, but she's the best in town.  A massage to the neck, cheerful massages to the feet, and soft music playing--not to mention the quality of her work--makes her my all-time favorite.



She has a heart for people.  "My grandfather in China--he took such good care of dead people.  And living people, too.  Like he used to write letters for Chinese ladies who couldn't write, letters to their families in the U.S.  Chinese ladies couldn't get education in those days."

So I surrendered to massage and conversation and left an hour and half later feeling as if I'd gone to yoga after all!

No comments: