Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Expedition Happiness

Looking for travel information, I stumbled upon this charming documentary on Netflix.  An adorable young German couple and their puppy fly to New York, buy an old yellow school bus, spend three months fixing it up to live and travel in, then drive through Canada to Alaska.

I'm about midpoint in the film right now--they're heading south on Highway One, the Pacific Highway.  They loved Banff--which I'm wanting to go back to myself--then had to stay a while in Vancouver to get joint surgery for Rudi, the dog.

Highly recommended if you love road tripping and wish you were young enough to see the whole world on wheels!

Speaking of which: so far, Betty and I have only begun to make our plans by email.  When I mentioned England, she said just what I've been saying to myself: I don't know if we can drive on the other side of the road, the steering wheel on the side of the car I know as the passenger seat.

But I've watched a lot of British movies, and I've decided, "Yes, we can!"

After all, I drove all over Tuscany in a tiny car carrying three other women, Nellie and Amanda and Laurie.  Of course, the roads and cars in Italy are  like ours, but driving a straight shift car in rushing traffic, unable to read road signs, was a challenge, and I'm so glad I didn't pass it up.   Those days of driving in Italy gave us all some unforgettable memories!


No comments: