Pages

Friday, August 24, 2018

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to CARLENE!

On August 24th, 1925, Carlene was born, the second of five children to Mimi and Papa--Mildred and Earl Ogletree.  When I called to wish her a happy 93rd birthday, we talked a little about her childhood and how she loved her older brother Bob.  Her favorite memories of are riding on the school bus with Bob and playing with him on the farm.  Bob died at ten, and Carlene--at seven--had to go through the unimaginable pain of losing her big brother.

Carlene at ninety-three is remarkable and inspiring--and she's also the one to whom we attribute Elena's bossiness and humor!   She teased  this morning that she got so many birthday cards that she had to hang a big plastic bag on the mailbox to collect them--and this was after her three-mile walk!



Elena said yesterday that she planned to be like Nana--and she remembers that one of Nana's many secrets to living a healthy life is eating an orange every day, so eats a lot of oranges.

Elena and Nathan remind me of Carlene and Bob--at least the Carlene and Bob I know from pictures and stories.  Yesterday, Nathan rode in the front seat for the first time--just as Bob rode the school bus before Carlene.  Elena was jealous, but Nathan said, "Elena, I've had to wait a long long time for this and you'll just have to wait."

It's unimaginable for a child to have to lose a sibling!  They have their own inside jokes--mostly about their parents--and they have so many of the same memories.

Carlene and Dot, the two sisters, are the only ones left in their original family and to hear the way they laugh together is hilarious.  I can always tell when Carlene is talking to Dot on the phone!

Carlene, I wish you a wonderful birthday and many many more years of laughter!  I love you to the moon and back!

Carlene today--sent to me by Jocelyn





My first birthday, my mama and me
with Mimi and Papa and Uncle David


No comments: