Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2018

The Dogs Buried Over the Bridge

Rheta Grimsley Johnson's book,The Dogs Buried Over the Bridge, a Memoir in Dog Years, may be the best of her books yet.  The inscription says, "For Linda Harris--who actually pays attention to my words--with thanks...."

I related to her previous books so much--as a sister Southerner--that I wrote to tell her so and she sent me an autographed copy of this, her most recent book.

The writing so beautifully captures people and places--and now dogs!

In reading it, I went back and looked at a few pictures of my children's growing up years to confirm what I'd suspected I'd see--that almost every photograph features a dog.

Here's Will feeding Spike an ice cream cone in Colorado:


Here's Day with either Cookie or Pollo--
they were almost identical dogs.


And here's 3-year-old Day--and Nana (Carlene)
and Tony, the best dog we ever had--
the German Shepherd we sold the wedding silver to buy!



No comments: