Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2018

STAY HERE--on Netflix

The only reality shows I watch are those that deal with transformations, shows like Queer Eye and Stay Here, both binge-able on Netflix.

Stay Here features a realtor-marketer man and a designer-decorator woman who advise people on marketing their short-term rentals, turning them from drab to glamorous in a week.  The first episode turns a shabby house boat in Seattle  into stunning in one week, and the realtor assures the owners that they will get three-times what they've been asking after the renovations and jazzy marketing.

Another episode turns a plain Jane cottage on a California vineyard into a romantic destination for weddings and honeymoons.

I've learned a lot watching the first four episodes--though the changes I've been making moving things around in my house are not aimed at income but my own enjoyment.  Kate went with me yesterday to put her stamp of approval on the only actual purchase I've made--a  black chair with an ottoman.  I had designed my living room around a fun multi-colored rug, but until this incarnation, the rug hadn't showed to its best advantage.

One phrase on Stay Here repeated on every episode is "Look for social media moments." That phrase says a lot about how reality is shaped for Facebook and Instagram. Their reasoning, however, is that clicks on social media translate into rentals or "heads on beds"--which is the goal of short term rental owners.






No comments: