Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2020

Morning in the casita

When I woke up, it was still dark--all but a string of lights I'd found and plugged in last night. Instead of hanging them, I just lay them across the table where I do gel prints, and they twinkled like Christmas morning.

They illuminated the piece I'm working on, circles and circles everywhere on what used to be a drab armoire.  

I felt--happy!  

I hadn't taken a drive to see Persephone and Andy in a while, so at precisely 3:15, I took courage (surely the skunk is sleeping) and walked through the back yard, then through the house, then to the car--and took a cheerful drive to my middle-of-the-night equivalent of a drive-through bar where my two friendly bar tenders know me. 

Ironically, on the way home, the podcast up next and playing on my phone was by Ingrid Fetell Lee, the author of the book, Joyful.  She happened to be saying, Circles make us joyful, and multiples make us joyful.  So no wonder I felt joyful in the middle of the night with multiple twinkly lights and circles circles everywhere!

She wondered why buildings and rooms for the most vulnerable people are so drab.  Nursing homes and hospitals and homeless shelters.  What if people were given spaces to live and heal and recover that were expressions of joy instead?  

Sharp angles in our ancestry represented danger while round circular objects evoked a sense of safety.  So we humans, without even knowing why, feel comforted and happier when we look at round objects instead of angles.  Who knew?  


No comments: