Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2020

Thursday: Just go with it

For the first time since the pandemic started, Elena and I had a play date today.  For a few hours, in spite of masks, it was almost like the days before the virus.

I had been complaining about the terrible paint job a handyman did on my porch chairs and table--splotchy and drippy and streaked. He hadn't used a drop cloth so there were big blue patches on the stepping stones. I'd spent the morning using my new sander to try to get down to the wood.

With Elena's inspiration, we turned it around by going with the flow. 

At first, when she wanted to paint a blue heart on a green chair, I said, "Oh that chair's supposed to be all green."

"Well, now you'll have a heart on your bum," she said, proceeding to spray a blue heart on the seat.

Then she wanted to help sand the table her daddy had built for me 25 years ago.

Instead of painting it, we decided we liked the distressed look and left it that way--still way better than a badly painted table.

I went inside to get us drinks and came back to see that she'd decorated the stepping stones in blue and green and stenciling a heart with masking tape. 





                                         Watching Queer Eye while painting pumpkins.



So--today was a beautiful day!  This kid doesn't get uptight about much of anything--and she taught me to give up complaining and let it be. 

My sanded chairs and table, my green chair with a heart for my bum, and colorful stepping stones--these will always remind me of one of the best days of being with my spunky girl. 

 


No comments: