Pages

Friday, May 20, 2016

House Care

Before starting the first batch of kombucha, I had to re-organize my entire kitchen.  The only dark enough place for the fermenting business is inside the pantry, so I had to pour out stale crackers and cereals and make room for the keg. The birds are having a party.

The utensil drawer was overflowing with utensils I haven't used in years, so I prioritized and stored the things I rarely use.  The pots were crammed on top of each other. I have way too many dishes.  Let's face it, I said to myself:  I'm never going to have a dinner party for eight people.

Now the tea pots and cups are in the tea pot and cup department, the pans are sorted with lids, and the napkins and paper products all in the same drawer.  Novel idea, I know--but I'm challenging myself to  return to cooking with less trepidation.

I've tried for months to find a good appliance repair man to fix the plugged drain in the casita refrigerator.  For those of you living in San Antonio, be sure to write down this name for future reference: Top Priority Appliances, Hugo Ortega, 210 577 2015. While the father, Hugo, fixed the broken agitator in the washing machine, his son, Jahaziel, fixed the fridge.

The best part of the whole deal was meeting these two men--both such cheerful and enthusiastic people.  "I try to smile at least 200 times a day," Hugo said, "It's good for my heart and everybody else's."

I commented on how I liked Jahaziel, and Hugo said, "What is the most valued possession in your life?  Mine is my son, my only son."  He had tears in his eyes--and so did I.

I gave Jahaziel a small piece of furniture for his Tiny House project.  "You always have to have open hands," Hugo said.  "If you give, you receive."




No comments: