Pages

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Hot City

Yesterday, my car's thermometer said 108 at 6:30!

This extreme heat keeps us all close to home--venturing out early, being home by ten, then waiting out the peak heat of the day to leave again.

So this morning, my plan was to stay home all day, but I got a text from Kate announcing porch visiting time, so I popped over at nine for kombucha and conversation.  Kate's porch is a gathering place for interesting women, no appointment required, no agenda.  Kate and her new neighbor and friend, Ann, talked me into buying a fit bit like they both wear to track sleep, heartbeat, exercise, and a whole bunch of other things.  Mine arrives on Tuesday, turquoise of course.

On my way home, driving through that stretch of antique shops on Blanco at the roundabout, a turquoise something caught my eye.  I stopped to check out the new shop on the corner: 1812 Blanco.

Marc, the owner, calls it THE MARCANTILE--to incorporate his name. One side is a neat little antique shop with kitchen wares, books, costume jewelry, and other things, everything artfully displayed.   The other side is a coffee shop.

They serve lunch and breakfast sandwiches (every day but Mondays and Tuesdays) and have a little patio out back as well as a small space indoors for drinking tea, eating muffins, or having yourself a bowl of organic salad with homemade chicken or tuna salad.  I didn't try out the food today, but I will.  It's open most days until about four.

The farmer's market at the Quarry is back on Sundays, by the way.  It was too hot to stop in today, but I'm glad it's back.  That, along with the big one on weekends at the Pearl, are two of San Antonio's special happenings.

I'm excited about my upcoming trip to Virginia.  Will's family and I are going to spend five days with Day's family, leaving on Friday.






No comments: