Pages

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Sunday, July 30

Carlene and I started today--the 15th anniversary of my daddy's death at 80,--talking about how much he left us and how we still feel him showing up from time to time, cheering us on.

Carlene is wearing the birthday skirt and blouse I gave her (for her early 92nd August birthday) to church.  Lloyd would be saying: "Doesn't she look pretty?"  I think he said that every Sunday of their years together!

Even though he only got to meet one of his great-grandchildren (Jackson as a baby), they've all heard so many Granddaddy stories that they must feel they know him.  Will said that they told Granddaddy stories around the campfire in Colorado!

Sometimes even now, at 39, Will will ask me (regarding a career or real estate decision), "What do you think Granddaddy would say?" Those two had a very close relationship, and Will always ran decisions by him. If Granddaddy gave the thumbs up, Will was all in.

When I shared these Colorado pictures with Carlene this morning, she said, "That's my version of immortality!  As a daddy, he's just like Lloyd."

Singing to his kids, teaching them to fish and love nature, joking with and hugging them all the time--these pictures are deja vu for me and Carlene.















No comments: