Pages

Friday, July 21, 2017

Journey's End

I've noticed that after a move or break-up or other big life change, my journey of choice is making changes in my house.  Fifteen years ago, I had a very nice five-year man-friend who made a beautiful Mexican backsplash in my kitchen.  After we went our separate ways, I  covered it with bead-board. Last week I asked Edward to take the bead board off and see if the tiles were still intact.  They weren't.  The adhesive had ruined the tiles and ripped off the color in big patches.

So that leads to the next step in the process: a new backsplash which Edward assured me is his specialty.

It's been a wonderful week of playing house.  I gravitate to the journey metaphor when I'm engrossed in a project.  Stop here, look there, double back, take pictures--and leave things you no longer want  (biodegradable, of course, in this analogy) in a ravine somewhere.  One road leads to another, there's no GPS, and you never quite know where you're going to land for the night.

I've been ordering curtains and rugs and sending back what doesn't work.  My new favorite places to shop online are Anthropologie, Wayfair, Houzz, and Soft Surroundings.

Carlene calls this journey "coming home"--and today that rang especially true when the paint I chose for the casita was called JOURNEY'S END!  I love it. I'm going for a quieter look than orange peel and the light blue is exactly what I wanted.

I've taken loads of things to Boysville and Off My Rocker, kept only the things I loved, bought new lamps, curtains, rugs, and side tables; various items found homes in different rooms than where they started.  My only compass when choosing accessories is: do I love them? With few exceptions, I find that when I choose things I love, they usually lean in affectionately toward each other.  Bring in one okay thing just because it's a bargain, and all the other things shun them and encourage them to leave on the next train.

Chris arrived today and we had a terrific day--lunch at Adelantes, poking around consignment shops,
watching Edward paint, then delicious dinner at Cappy's followed by a massage at the Chinese Foot Spa.

It's been a year and a half since my breast cancer and the mammogram letter arrived yesterday announcing all is NORMAL!

Sunday, Deb and Bonnie and I are participating in a panel discussion at Gemini Ink to talk about the book, Wonderful Old Women.  Joy made each of us a little pin in the shape and color of the book and we'll be wearing those, of course.

Relaxed as can be, today's journey is coming to an end and we're heading to bed, Chris in the casita, me in the happy messy house.


No comments: