Pages

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

My friend Janet, activist, mover and shaker

Janet is my friend who painted my living room and got this whole house ball rolling with blush white.

She has a Ph.D, and has had a variety of careers, doing one only as long as it's juicy, then changing to something else: professor, realtor, NIA and dance instructor.  Decorating and painting she does for the fun of it--for herself and a few friends. When I met Janet many years ago, she was selling shoes at Body and Sole and we connected instantly.  She married Bill shortly after that and joined my Thursday night writing group.

Since the election, she's been doing at least one thing every single day--volunteering for Planned Parenthood, talking to representatives, and marching in protests, including the Women's March in Washington the day after the election.

Today, the SA Express published this editorial she wrote after one of her protests:

http://m.mysanantonio.com/opinion/commentary/article/Arrest-a-worthwhile-inconvenience-11410318.php

While almost everyone I know (like me) is grumbling and wringing hands about the daily horrors of this administration, Janet is doing something tangible every day to effect change and protect the rights of people who are at real risk of losing health care and choice.

No comments: