Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Lea Glisson

Lea, author of two books, has been my friend for fifteen years--and a member of a long-standing writing group for almost that long.

So when I was asked to be the photographer for a book of interviews including Lea, I wanted her to be the first.  For one thing, she's camera friendly and lively and fun: for another, I've taken pictures of her through the years and I knew I'd feel comfortable on the other side of the lens with her.

This project is the brainchild of two other friends, Bonnie Lyons (professor of English at UTSA and my teacher once upon a time) and Deb Field (who owns the Yellow Rose Bed and Breakfast in the King William District.)  So far, they have interviewed thirteen women, and I'm lucky to get to go along for the ride.

At lunch after our photo-shoot, we three (Deb, Lea and I) talked about a lot of things, including this project.  What to tell about ourselves, what to reveal? A couple of the women--when they read in black and white something they've said--want to edit out what they said.

Deb said, "I think what makes us all lovely are our quirks."




If all interviewees are as candid and refreshing as Lea, I could do this all day long! I've been studying f-stop, shutter speed and focal this and thats for weeks, but in the end, I decided not to get too distracted by dials, and just try my best to let the essence of the person come through.








No comments: