Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Making Things Work

I decided--while I have Jaro the Terrific available--to extend my renovation project and paint the house as well.  In two days, it's  been power washed and painted, all but the trim, and I love it!

People often ask me why I paint so often, and I just think, "I wish you knew my friend Janet!"  If Janet O paints a room and doesn't like it, she paints it again the next day.  She's my inspiration.  Her house is an ever-changing canvas.

Or someone will say she liked it the way it was.  I liked my pink house, but now I also love my not-pink house.  It feels like a brand new canvas: white with facia a shade or two darker than my car.

We used a sample of the  trim color on one portion of the house today and it wasn't quite right.  I couldn't figure out why until I called my friend Debbie, the Paint Lady.  Debbie has a great eye for color and knows all the colors in the Behr palette like old friends.  Turns out the first blue I picked had too much red in it and the eye read it as purple.

I learned this: If you are using two shades of the same color, they should be in the same color family. How did I get this far without knowing that?  What a revelation!  I've always just held up the paint chip and done the eye-squint test.

I also learned that you need to take paint chips out into the sunshine instead of choosing them inside the paint store.

At first, when I see the not-quite-right color, I panic a little. I really like to get it right the first time.

What gets me through every blunder are Carlene's words, "Everything is tuition."  I pretend I'm in the graduate school of color, and every day is a pop quiz.

One change changes everything--and doing this has been (I'm guessing) like making a painting.  A color in isolation is very different from the same color next to another.  And a tiny paint chip is never enough of an indicator by which to color an entire wall.  I have to be willing to "fail miserably"--I believe it was Brene Brown who advocated this--to get where I want to go.

Painting is my journey of this year.











No comments: