Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Victoria Suescum's Art Show at Blue Star

Today was such a fun day!

I had a delicious lunch with Kate and Charlotte at Thai Dee, a Valentines treat from Kate. Basil noodles, soup and egg rolls  with two of your best friends--that's a star on top of the heart.

After my nap and package-opening, I went to Victoria's art show at the Blue Star.  Her paintings are like the signage you see in Mexico and other Latin American countries, hand-painted, no two alike. Such a delightful contrast to the mass-produced signs we see every day, such stories embedded and imagined in them!

(Victoria is from Panama and has always been fascinated by signs painted on wood--advertising corn on the cob, snow cones, ice cream, fruit cups, hair salons, and other businesses.)   I love her work, and these are some of my favorites:






The food was too pretty to eat until I couldn't resist any longer.  It was made by a local food truck and combined cucumbers, pineapple, strawberries and candies, with some kind of yummy sauce over it all.  Who'd have thought of combining gummy candies with fruits and vegetables?  Brilliant!





One of the really special features of the night were Tarot readings using cards Victoria had made of her paintings!  I had mine read by my friend Mary Bequet and it was  inspiring and validating to hear what my three cards had to say.  The tower suggests the past year: many things falling apart.  The justice card represents my present--a time of fairness and balance.  And the final card, the queen, suggests my future.  Mary said it better!



I want to buy a set of these cards--a beautiful way to have Victoria's paintings in miniature right in my hands.

What a lovely way to celebrate Valentines Day, with two of my favorite people on the planet, Victoria and Mary!

Victoria and Mary


On the way home, I stopped by Pam and Alison's and delivered a stack of overalls, a gift to Alison from Mike--and had a glass of wine and got my fork in Pam's pasta, then came home and had some leftover Thai Basil noodles.

P.S. for San Antonio folks:

Remember that On and Off Fredricksburg is happening this weekend--a walkabout arts and crafts show including work by Alison and other local artists.  It's always a fun and colorful show.  Pam's going with Carlene and me, and anyone else is welcome to join us if you like.


No comments: