Pages

Monday, April 3, 2017

Love

Over Quiche Lorraine (at Cafe Lorraine) this morning, my friend Becky McCarty and I were talking about love.  We talked about recent and far-distant loves (hers and mine) and break-ups (hers and mine).

Becky said something interesting, something I hadn't heard before, something she actually made up.  "I usually think of love as an accident of geography and pathology."

Wow.

I had to stop and ponder that one.

Most of us did indeed marry, at least the first time around, someone who shared a geographical location.  But what about pathology?

Did HER pathology and HIS pathology click into place like two perfectly fitting jigsaw puzzle pieces?  Did her "little touch of crazy" fit into his like hand into glove, and vice versa?

I told her about a book I'm reading (On Love)  and she told me about a New York Times article she'd just read by the same author, Alain de Botton.  I believe I've recently linked to this same article, but in case you missed it, here it is:  "Why You Will Marry The Wrong Person."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/opinion/sunday/why-you-will-marry-the-wrong-person.html






No comments: