Pages

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Feeling Good Again....from Robert Earl Keene

Having spent the weekend with the Pearsons (the family in "This is Us"), and having drunk up on water, I woke up to a text yesterday that my newly upholstered sofa is almost ready.  I went for a look-see and it's SO much better.

The former upholstery is only a few months old, but it had to go.  ("Tuition," Carlene says.)

Sometimes a not-quite-right piece in a room has to go--like some relationships and jobs and other problematic things in life.  First, I struggle for a while to make things right (after all, they all have their good qualities)  but, really, I "knew" before I knew that it was only a matter of time until I'd say adios. Time to fold and walk away.  It was too noisy, too slippery, too hard to get along with.

Tuition can be expensive, and not just financially.  I trust people until I have solid evidence not to--which led me to a few stunning tuition bills this past year, including a robbery by someone I'd trusted.  While I don't agree that "everything happens for a reason,"  I do know from many experiences that we can get some decent life lessons when things go awry, making us wiser in the future.

This new sofa is emblematic of change, "blessing and releasing" whatever isn't working and "loving yourself enough" (both quotes borrowed from Pam) to choose again.

Yesterday, Kate sent me home with kombucha and a yummy squash casserole.

Then Day called and said, "Say it with me 1-2-3: SCHOOL IS OUT!"  So we did that as they are packing for their anniversary trip to Chicago.  Twenty years--I can hardly believe it!

Then I followed a lead from Janet and went looking at rugs at a great store out on 1604--Heirloom Beds. (They didn't have rugs, after all, but it was still worth the drive and I bought some new pillows).  While chatting with Lorraine about an upcoming visit in Connecticut, I had dinner at El Bucanero's on Blanco Road--fresh and delicious ceviche.

After yoga and water-therapy today, I'm humming Robert Earl Keene's song, "Feels so good feeling good again!"

No comments: