Pages

Friday, June 23, 2017

Little Kids

When little kids meet, they don't size each other up--at least not the way bigger kids and grownups do.  They don't ask questions.

"Hey," Madeline shouts to Elena.  "We're horses.  You can ride us."

"I have a horse," Elena says. "A real horse."  They are neither interested in that fact or impressed.  She is not offended.  She morphs into a horse in a stable of three.

They romp like horses, climbing on each other's backs.  Then they come and tell me their names because I'm a grandmother and grandmothers care about names.  They want me to read the book that came with Elena's kids meal.  They tell me they can't get one because Mama is just here to study today and she already told them they can't buy food, and you have to buy food to get the "I Spy" book.

"I'm going to hide," Elena says.  "You can't find me." She climbs into the playground thing and peeps out from the wheel of a suspended car.



"Take a picture of me coming down the slide!" Madeline says.

"Take a picture of me shaking my butt," Ben says.

Mama (they tell me I can call her Miss Carley)  is studying while her baby (Ben tells me her name is Kennedy)  is toddling around. The big kids and horses keep sliding from invisible into visible through a golden canal.





"You're a nice grandma!" Ben says.  "Can we call you Miss Grandma?" 



No comments: