Pages

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Recipe for Marjorie's Sheet Cake

Today has been a beautiful Saturday.  I went to gentle yoga at Two Hearts, then got this call from Will: He's being officially promoted to chief on June 15th and I am invited to the ceremony.

The other night--after I picked up Nathan from his last day of school (All A's and E's and perfect attendance)--he told Will, "I"m actually glad my parents got a divorce.  If they hadn't I wouldn't have ever met this amazing man named Will and I never would have had my two terrific grandmothers, Nana and Yenna, or my brilliant cousins Jackson and Marcus."  Talk about putting one's ten-year-old life in perspective!

Now I'm making Will a belated birthday cake which I will deliver to his station when it's ready.

Speaking of this cake: it's called Marjorie's sheet cake and I have the recipe on a yellowed and splattered 30-year-old card.  Elena says, "I love that cake so much.  I hate every cake but it."

So with that high compliment, I will copy the recipe here if anyone wants the only not-hated cake!  I sprinkle crushed pecans on top for Will, leave them off half the cake for the kiddos.

Bring to a boil:

1 cup water
2 sticks margarine
3 T. cocoa

Mix:

2 cups flour
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. soda
1 t. salt
1 t. vanilla

Add 1/2 pint of sour cream to the wet ingredients, then mis with the dry.  It will be soupy.

Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes in a 13 x 9 pan.

Frosting:

5 T. water
2 T. cocoa
1 stick margarine
1 pound powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla

Bring to a boil and pour on cake when cool.

No comments: