Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Day One, The Last day of April

San Marcos--Lockhart--Bastrop--Brenham--Giddings--Livingston: I'm still in Texas.

It took me to about Giddings to feel the usual lightness of mind I feel when driving, even with Leonard Cohen all day and beautiful wildflowers everywhere.

By the time I landed here in Livingston, where I was too sleepy to care if Fox News was blaring in the lobby, I found a room, met some friendly people (one a tad too friendly--but that's another story for another day)  and downloaded a few photos from Day One:

Fields of wildflowers on a cloudy Monday.
With my telephoto lens, I took a few snaps of people taking pictures
of each other

Including these people taking pictures of cemetery markers

The chalk board wall at a gourmet shop in downtown Lockhart

I always like taking pictures of antique doll faces,
This one in Brenham

My plan is to  continue to avoid main roads as much as possible, and wind up at Carlene's on Thursday or Friday for a starter weekend visit.   I'll leave early Monday morning and head to Virginia, then do a bit of meandering and drive back to Carlene's before heading back to Texas.

I'm putting my phone on silence and the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door and going back to sleep now, still not sure if I'll head toward Natchez or Ocean Springs in the morning, either route just short of 800 miles from Atlanta.  Maybe I'll do Natchez, then dip south toward the coast and Ocean Springs, not missing either of two favorite towns on this very familiar stretch of road.








No comments: