Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

The Blue Grass Parkway, Southern Virginia

After gassing up at a Jonesville station, I asked the clerk: "Where's the closest place to enter the parkway?"

She looked at me as if I'd asked for directions to a dangerous place she'd heard of: "You don't want to go there!  You'd have to go to the mountain."

Phone coverage was spotty all day as I drove the curvy mountain roads. For a few minutes, I had phone coverage, and it got me to Galax, where a gallery owner insisted I should retrace a few miles and visit Mount Airy.  These two towns, along with Floyd and the Mabry Mill on the Parkway, are special beads in this Blue Ridge string of beautiful places.

When Day called this morning to let me know she's sick with bronchitis, I decided to delay arriving until tomorrow--I'm two hours away here in Lexington.

Mt. Airy, it turns out, is the home place of Andy Griffith and one of the female actors in his show (there's an Andy Griffith museum that includes an annex about Siamese twins because conjoined twins from Thailand lived there!), but the place I enjoyed most there was a colorful shop called Scarlet Begonias and meeting Amy, the owner.

In Galax, I popped into a couple of local galleries Betty and I had visited last October, but I waited for late lunch at Floyd's General Store where I had delicious collards and quiche.  Mike and I found Floyd a few years ago and I return there every trip.  

Pink and red poppies
North Carolina


Through-The-Windshield snapshots
on the Blue Ridge Parkway










No comments: