Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2019

Halfway to SA


Leaving Lawrenceville yesterday, I stopped by my daddy's grave, feeling as full of sadness as I did so many years ago. He was my template and model of what a good man is, the best father I've ever heard of.  I was so lucky to land in his life!

I had such a good visit with Carlene and Bob and Jocelyn, including going to crafts fair (didn't stay long because of the stifling heat and my leg) with Bob and Jocelyn while my car was being serviced for the final thousand miles on this my last trip solo of this length.  

I woke up yesterday morning knowing it was time to head west toward home, toward my house, and toward the end of packing and unpacking the car.  I broke my own rules and took the shortest route--and will do the final 500 today. 

At the Hammond, LA iHop this morning, I met a sweet waitress named Wanda, about my age.  "I'm great," she said when I asked how she was doing.  "Nothing to complain about, Sugar." 

"What brought you to Hammond?" I asked her. 

"I came here from Florida to raise my grandchildren twenty years ago," she said.  "Now they are all grown and moved to Florida, but I stayed."

"Their mama went off the beaten track," she said, then whispered, "Even went to prison."

"She's out now, doing good.  She calls me every day.  She calls me Mama even though I'm not really her mama."





No comments: