Pages

Monday, September 2, 2019

Extravagance

In a world that ranges widely between prosperity and poverty, I'm thinking today of all the ways I measure my present sense of abundance.

Of course, my most obvious source of wealth is in friends and family, a richness I never take for granted.

This year I have been extravagant in art supplies and I feel rich in colors and ideas and plans right now. I spent the first six months of this year gathering materials and watching others create, but my plan for the next six months is to practice more of the techniques and ideas I've gleaned from my many online teachers and inspirers.

Searching for textures and glossy fashion magazine pages (for photo transfers) took me to Boysville on Saturday where I spent an hour poking around and listening to opera.  I also bought a few shot glasses for making bubbles with alcohol ink. Good thrift shops offer all kinds of hidden treasures for making things, and Boysville is my favorite.

I also went  to the shops on Blanco where I found a wooden spool for making a spiral book I've been wanting to make and met a man who told me about a good local shop for vintage typewriters.

I got up at four this morning to make a lemon pie and chicken for dinner with my Texas family and now am going to take myself an extravagant morning nap.

I hope you all have an extravagant and juicy Labor Day!










No comments: