Pages

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Hunting and Gathering

In line with my Cherokee ancestry (on my daddy's side) I spent much of Friday hunting and gathering for launching my paper dyeing project this weekend.

Where I hunt: Goodwill and other thrift shops; a new venue (thanks to Kate) the Restaurant Supply Store on Fredricksburg; grocery stores, the ground upon which I walk.

So I have the pans and strainers, canning jars (HEB), tongs, papers, and vegetables.

Next step: a walk to gather leaves for botanical-infused paper.

Rose leaves and other leaves, a few flowers, etc. are pressed between layers of paper, then all that is bound with twine and boiled and simmered for a while.  When you open the bundle, voila! You have paper with imprints of the leaves and flowers.

I did learn something new yesterday: if you spray leaves with water and then freeze them flat in Tupperware containers, you can use them throughout the year to use for botanical-infused papers as well as gel prints.

That way, when it's snowing (which never happens in my neck of the woods anyway) you can still make impressions with leaves.


No comments: