Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2020

Temptations

       FYI:  I mentioned earlier that I had signed up for all-access (1500 classes) of Creative Live on art, writing, photography, etc.  It's a good bargain with 1500 classes, but ultimately I decided too many classes for me at this time.  The one I played a bit of for my writing group was met with ho-hum reception, so I opted out during the 7-day trial period and got a refund.


       Yesterday I watched an hour-long tutorial by the author of Joyful.  Ingrid is a designer who believes that we can create more joy by choosing textures, smells, sounds, and bright pops of color into our living environments--which is the focus of her book and yesterday's freebie class.

At the end, she did a promo for a 36-module class on making houses more aesthetically joyful, and yes, I was tempted.  Pam watched it on her computer at the same time and sent me a text: "Don't sign up for this.  You could teach this class!"

She knows my temptation to keep learning til the cows come home, and she kept me away from the SEND button with her generous compliment.

So she saved me some money and time and exposure to plenty of pointers, I'm sure, that I don't really know and couldn't teach.  But I'm glad she did.

Long online classes are seductive and interesting, but I don't want to spend my entire life watching videos.  I prefer short snippets that get me off the couch and into the paint, or the words, or the spaces that need spiffing up.  You Tube has what my Mimi would call "a gracious plenty."


       A live class, however, with other like-minded creators/learners, is another matter--if you're absolutely sure that the teacher is a good fit.

Birgit Koopsen's classes, whether in The Netherlands or New York--that's  another kettle of fish.  In a live class, you get the teacher's expertise along with interactions with other students in real time.

Day and I will be taking an early-November class with Birgit in New York.  I so look forward to three or four days learning and exploring New York with Day!

Then, next summer, who knows?  We may fly to Amsterdam and take a three-day workshop in Birgit's amazing studio!


No comments: