Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

cookery

Well, I'm just going to go ahead and say it: I do not care for cooking.  I resign.

I used to--back when my kids were kids.  I was fairly adept at it, as I recall, always trying out new recipes.

Will and Bonnie are doing a live online interview in the casita later, and we're going to do a porch or indoor dinner before or after.  I have made a chicken dish with an Indiana flare because two of my friends raved about it, one being Pam who loaned me her crock pot and some spices to make it happen. Chopping cilantro and garlic and ginger and cutting up pieces of boneless chicken thighs took me forever, but I got it done and now said dish is simmering along on its own.  A chocolate birthday cake for Bonnie is on the table (I do like making cakes) and all that's left to do is to boil some corn and heat the naan and make the jasmine rice.

We all have those things we like to do because they energize us and those things we do just because we expect it of ourselves.  Cooking for me is in the latter category.

So there.  It's official.  Cookery is not my thing.  I'm quitting--even if this is the best dish ever.

No comments: