Pages

Monday, May 11, 2020

Monday

I woke up with a text ding at 4:30.  (I've since discovered that I can turn off notifications from messenger on Facebook, the private post office wherein people send each other notes at all hours.)

Driving then to get a coke, I heard an interview with Vivik H. Murphy (former Surgeon General), the author of a book called Together: The Healing Power of Human Connection in a Sometimes Lonely World.

He talks about the physical and emotional consequences of loneliness--increase in heart disease, depression, Alzheimer's, addictions, etc.  I will read the book at some point to find out more, but the topic interests me, in general, always, and I have a few things I'd like to add to the conversation later.

I think I'll call my post "Loneliness comes in different flavors,"--but not today.

Pam made this delicious orzo and shrimp dish yesterday and invited me to share it:"Delivery or pick up options available," she said.

I chose pick up.  I hadn't been on her beautiful porch in ages, so we sat six feet apart and chatted for a while, during which she inspired me to join the GetMessyArt community and check out a video she loved on Commonplace Books, which I have spent the last couple of hours doing!  I LOVE it when someone tells me about a place, a site, a book, a happening that inspires doing something new or gives a new layer of insight about something I'm already doing.


Pam on her porch
With a take home of the most amazing dinner of orzo, shrimp, asparagus, and a cookie
shaped like a flower with icing on it.




In person visits have been rare for the past two months--so a porch visit on Mother's Day was much appreciated and enjoyed!

A commonplace book--according to Brandi who teaches a class on it--goes back to the 1500s.  It's not an art journal or a diary; it's a collection of ephemera, quotations, recipes, letters, things you find on the street (like other people's grocery lists), lines from songs, plans, ideas.

I'll tell you more about it later (because the idea is very appealing to me)--but first, I need to finish my night's sleep for a couple of hours.




No comments: