Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2021

January 16, 2021

Luci has now been here for over a week, and I've decided that she's probably a Collie-Doxie, with maybe a bit of Corgi thrown in.  What a fantastic dog she is!

She's so glad to get back from our ride that she does a rip-roaring run around the house after sniffing the front yard for tigers.  When we walk from one house to another, she holds her head high looking very serious and focused as if we're doing something super important for which she has to be vigilant.  

To a nine-pound mutt (I mean Collie-Doxie) everything is big and important, as she must protect me from all potential enemies.  When she has to stay in the car while I get groceries, she greets me upon my return with way more enthusiasm than humans: "Oh there you are!" she says.  "You've been gone forever, forever, forever!"

When I pour dry food in her bowl, she looks at me with a look of reproach, 'Is that the best you can do?"

Maybe her former owners gave her steak?  Whenever I open the refrigerator, Luci looks so hopeful it kind of breaks my heart for a minute that she has to eat dry dog food.  

When she needs to go outside, she whimpers to announce the fact.  When she's done, she runs back to me like she's done an extraordinary thing.

The most unusual feature I've discovered so far is that she always walks two steps behind me just to the right, as if someone in her mysterious past has trained her to do so.  

Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day and Jan introduced us to the  Wonderful Concept of A Walk With a Leash.  Her first leash walk was impressive and full of joy.  We're going to make that a regular part of our days.  

As she walks, she does the doggie equivalent of reading her email written in animal language upon the ground.  


Update on family news:

Carlene said she had a very good time at the hospital!  After ten months of virtual solitude, it was fun to be so popular with the nurses and staff.  

She's home now and resting and we'll chat first thing in the morning.

Day is awaiting results of her COVID test so that she can follow up on her extreme mouth and throat pain. I'm hoping hard for a negative result and a diagnosis that can be easily treated!

Jackson is doing better, but he's not entirely well yet.  Even though he had a negative COVID test, the doctor says that he needs to quarantine for another week, just in case, as his symptoms are "COVID-y."

Today is Elena's 9th birthday.  This is the first of her birthdays I'll have to miss--but she's very excited about having a horseback riding party!

My first vaccine was easy-peasy.  Two weeks after the second shot, I should be able to visit more freely, travel, and relax a bit. 


No comments: