Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Ravens



Nellie (my artist friend who lives in Florida) just sent me this picture of her latest creation--a set of ravens.  I just love these colorful birds!

In 1974, when Day was three, we were camping in Vermont.  One early morning, I left for a bike ride around the campground.  A raven stood beside the picnic table watching me.  Then he picked up a ballpoint pen on the ground and brought it to me as deliberately as a person might do!  And then, after I'd put the pen in my pocket, that big raven hopped up on my handlebars and went for a ride with me, I kid you not!

Ravens are very intelligent birds, according to my online research tonight.  While they are often associated with death, they are symbolic of much more than that.  In many different cultures and traditions, they are highly respected as oracles.

Some believe they can foretell the future. Some believe the raven is a messenger, often communicating deep mysteries. According to Norse legends,  the raven is symbolic of mind, thought and wisdom.

"There are some Greco-Roman legends that say ravens were once all white. And, because the raven couldn't keep a secret to save its life, Apollo punished the raven by turning its bright white feathers black after it divulged too many secrets. There's also a version that said the owl replaced the raven by Athena's side as her associate of wisdom because of raven's blabber-mouthed tendencies."

"Raven color changes are also mentioned in Christian lore when Noah sent a raven first to confirm the receding floodwaters. When the raven did not return, it was said God turned its feathers black for its failure, and Noah sent a dove out to do the raven's job."

"Other Native North American tribes saw the raven as the bringer of light. In fact, southwestern tribes (Hopi, Navajo, Zuni) felt the raven was flew out from the dark womb of the cosmos, and with it brought the light of the sun (dawning of understanding). Consequently, the raven is considered a venerated bird of creation, for without the raven, humans would forever live in darkness."

"Dr. Carl Jung believed that the raven symbolized the shadow self, or the dark side of the psyche. I very much like this. Why? Because by acknowledging this dark side, we can effectively communicate with both halves of ourselves. This offers liberating balance, and facilitates tremendous wisdom (something the raven would be very pleased with)."

No comments: