Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Sometimes a girl needs to be alone to cry

Elena is probably the happiest person I know--delighted by everything.  We just spent the last twelve hours together at my house, and she only cried when it was time to leave.

At four and a half, she loves to pretend she's animals in a pet store--a unicorn, a lion, a baby cow alternately--and my job is to choose her and buy her.  After she's taken on the identity of the animal, she stays in character for a long time, correcting me when I forget and call her Elena.

Today, we tie dyed fabric and made a tent, then made chocolate chip cookies and a snow globe.  After dinner, she started talking about how sad it makes her that Nathan has to go to his other house for a whole week.  "I'm having to squeeze back the tears because what I'm talking about makes me sad."

I told her it was okay to cry if she felt like it, but she just wanted to sit in my lap for a while.  "I can just put my head on your shoulder and cry?  Because I can tell you anything?"

As it turned out, the impulse to cry passed and she wanted me to buy her one more time, this time as a cheetah.

"Sometimes I just want to be by myself for a little while so nobody can hear what I'm thinking."

"I get that," I said.  "I do too." I told her about the times when I was a little girl and went to my tree house to be alone.

"How long did it take until you didn't want to cry anymore?" she asked.

"I thought this giraffe was taller than me."

Loving on the giraffes

Making chocolate chip cookies

No comments: