Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Sofa Shopping

Sofas are the problem children of the furniture kingdom.

Having sold my white leather one in favor of a soft, fabric, cushier one, but not yet having found said cushy one, I spent Saturday morning shopping estate sales to no avail.  Either they are huge overstuffed sofas that remind me ominously of the padded interior of caskets, or they are tufted with large buttons, or they are ultra modern and way too big for my space, or they are too fussy.

I checked out Stowers, and found expensive and over-sized ones, but nothing in my color palette.  Same at Five Broads on Broadway.

At an upholstery shop, I found many colorful fabrics and people who can build a sofa from scratch or re-build vintage sofas. I like Bohemian design chairs and sofas covered in two or three different fabrics, so maybe I'll make one up and have them do it.

At an estate sale yesterday, I bought a whole bolt of beautiful upholstery fabric for $30, and two upholstered chairs for $12 apiece that I'll use until I find the sofa. At least there will be comfortable chairs to sit upon when all my children are here in August, albeit rather ugly ones in their present state. After the tsunami of Elena  crafting, the room is now so messy I can't quite decide what goes where, especially after the delivery of the beautiful blue hutch I bought at the last estate sale, now the dominant piece in the room to work around.

Going from one craft to another, Elena said, "I love your house because you don't have any rules!"--so now I have a no-rules reputation to uphold. That may rule out white for a sofa until Elena grows out of the glue and marker phase.

Rooms take time to grow, as we all know, and once you change one thing, everything in the room has to change.  I'm thinking about finally getting rid of my popcorn ceiling and cheap molding and upgrading the whole space.

I did reinforce yesterday what I already know: I prefer pieces with creative potential to expensive furniture store or online offerings.  I like old made new.  And second-hand shopping is way more fun than shopping in high end furniture stores.









No comments: