Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2016

"Won't you be my neighbor?" (Mr. Rogers)

I have the best neighbors in town--Jan, Kate, Sebastien and Makken.

They have brought me magic soup, blueberry cookies, and  a wonderful vegetable pasta dish.  I licked the bowl and plate clean and returned the dishes.

Cooking is fun for foodies like Jan and Kate.  I used to be a cook, but I'm out of practice.  I thought I'd gotten everything I needed for cream of celery soup, but halfway in I realized that while I had gotten parsnips (totally new to me!) I had forgotten the one little potato and garlic clove called for, so I went back over to Jan's to borrow from her pantry.

My menu for lunch today was creamed crab in puff pastries, salmon with dill, guacamole,  and a big puffy pavlova with strawberries for dessert. Will, Veronica and Elena came for lunch, then Kate Mangold (not Kate next door) joined us for dessert.

My blood pressure is now in low-normal range, so all is well on that front.  Gerlinde brought me a machine so I can test it at home if I ever start yelling at strangers again and need something to blame it on.

I wonder now how Mimi, my grandmother, used to put on the spreads she did in her 80s--fried chicken, butterbeans, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, sliced tomatoes, fried okra, and pie.  I, Linda, am "plum worn out"--as I hear echoes of Mimi saying (or feeling) after standing in the kitchen for hours cooking all that.





No comments: