Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Synchronicity

          Synchronicity: "the coincidental occurrence of events and especially psychic events (as similar thoughts in widely separated persons or a mental image of an unexpected event before it happens) that seem related but are not explained by conventional mechanisms of causality —used especially in the psychology of C. G. Jung"

          I've not thought of Ghost Busters in over 30 years.  Haven't thought of the song, the logo, anything.  That movie, until yesterday, was not on my radar.  I saw it in 1984 with my children (looked up the date of its release to tell this story) and all I remembered was the catchy jingle: "Who Ya Gonna Call?  Ghost Busters!" which I mentioned in a blog post yesterday.

         Out in Helotes, unbeknownst to me until today, on the very day I was humming that song in my head, Elena and Nathan were doing an elaborate dance to that very song!  When Will showed me a video of it today,  I was startled by the coincidence.

         When someone calls and you've been thinking about that person, it's just a coincidence--especially if it's near the time he or she usually calls. If the call comes from someone you're thinking about whom you haven't heard from in twenty years or more, it's a Big Coincidence, so unlikely that it grabs your attention and seems freighted with meaning.

         Synchronistic events are like flashlights that shine a beam on something, making it larger by doubling it. They make me suspect that the Universe, for all its seeming-seriousness, has a  sense of humor.

         









No comments: