Pages

Monday, October 13, 2014

400 miles, In Shreveport on the night before my birthday

What a great day!

First, I went to the Mini Cooper Center to get Blue's tires checked for travel. In the waiting room, I looked around for something to draw--and voila!  I spied two vending machines with a big fake coin on top, a mop between.


When Charles, the service manager, came to tell me the tires were all set, he said, "Wow!  I love your drawing!"

I must confess: I was thrilled!  He wanted to make a copy, have me sign it! Talk about a burst of encouragement for a novice drawer!


Charles, a writer with a book coming out next month,  moved to San Antonio from Lilburn, Georgia--just a few miles from my destination, Lawrenceville.

With Charles' encouragement echoing in my ears, I drove all day like a real artist, looking at everything as potential material.  The clouds were heavy and grey as I drove out of San Antonio, but soon the sky cleared and it was a beautiful day all day to Shreveport.

I stopped at Naeglin's Bakery in New Braunfels for bear claws, then stopped briefly in Buda to take pictures in a pumpkin patch.



Just north of Austin, I pulled off onto Highway 79 and a string of little towns with beautiful things to see from Taylor to Shreveport, Leonard Cohen's "Live in London" the soundtrack of the day.

Cotton fields, long silver trains, scarecrows, barns, and pine trees; a sky with puffy white clouds--the route was painted in all the colors of October, reminiscent of the scarecrow day in Cambria, California, a year ago.

After a delicious Mexican dinner, I drove the last forty miles to Shreveport, singing along with Leonard all the way, loud and proud!

Here are a few of the many scarecrows I photographed in Buffalo, Texas:













No comments: