Pages

Thursday, October 9, 2014

A thousand words is better than a picture sometimes....

Like tonight.

My oldest writing group surprised me with a birthday party of  wine and cupcakes and cheese and tamales, even party hats and a beautiful lantern filled with flowers.  It was wonderful!  I took a few pictures, but haven't yet checked them out or asked if I could post them.  But what really cracked my heart wide open was this:  During the timed writing, I thought they were all writing the prompt--when they had already planned ahead to write a letter to me!  Listening to them read them, my eyes full of tears, I told them I felt like I was at my own funeral--hearing so many loving words by my family of sisters!

Of course, I feel like posting them--but that would be shameless of me, so I'll re-read them tonight and savor every word.  I just want to say a great big thank you to Becky and Janet for organizing a birthday surprise this afternoon--and for every member of the group, those who were physically present and those who emailed their letters (and one rhyming poem) to be read: Mercedes, Kathi, Lea, Melissa, Kara, and Mary Beth.

Even with all my art-making, it's words that touch me most--words from the hearts of eight beloved women and writers who've been together for many years, some as long as a decade.

I'm actually too overwhelmed at the moment to do it justice in writing.  Some things you just hold in your heart and return to over and over with great big gratitude and love!


Just as I was closing out this post, I got this photograph from Lea:

Thanks so much, Lea!
It took me two blows--to blow out twelve candles
on delicious Bird Bakery carrot cake cupcakes
brought by Becky....

But I have a feeling that the wishes
will still come true!

No comments: