Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Gospel Music and Fried Pies and Gold Leaves

I discovered a new station--for those of you who like old classic, gospel music: WTBI.  You can listen online if you want a taste of the music of old-time revivals.

What I call "classic gospel" are those old songs my daddy used to sing in his quartets--not the same as contemporary "praise music" and nothing like high-church music. I haven't done a real study of it, but I know it when I hear it.  Some of it is downright hokey, some of it is close to bluegrass, some of it is frankly beautiful, but it's country white-church music with terrific harmonies and a certain raw poetry that I love. Right now, I'm hearing a shouting sermon online, a genre that most of you have probably never heard in person.

Whether you agree with all the words or not, the songs between the sermons have harmonies and lyrics that take me back to that time of sitting on pews in revival meetings like nothing else does.

I'm not sure if this is the genre you'll hear every time you tune in to this station online, but Carlene and I listened to it as we drove to and around Highlands, North Carolina last week and it swooshed us right back to the days they used to sing these old songs together, my parents in duets and Lloyd in his quartet.

The foliage wasn't quite as vivid as it's been some other years, but it was beautiful in its own 2014 October way.  We had a terrific time wandering around the mountain towns, staying in Hiawasee on Lake Chatuge,  eating Georgia barbecue pork in Dawsonville, and going to Sleepy Hollow to look at those wonderful fairy houses I like.

Lake Chatuge (Hiawasee) early morning

Seeing double in Lake Chatuge

Miss Carlene in Blue

Carlene at the Scenic Overlook at the top of Georgia

A week ago today--the day of the Fried Pies in Apple Country



No comments: