Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Shreveport Morning at the Best Western

I woke up at seven to hear that Atlanta is having quite a storm, power outages everywhere. I called Carlene--without whom I wouldn't have a birthday!--and she's fine, with power!

As I was passing by the desk, the woman, maybe 19,  who worked there (deep in conversation with a large overall-wearing man), called out to me: "Mam, don't you agree that childbirth is disgusting?"

So there we were, on the morning of my birthday, me reassuring this young woman that if it is, you forget; it's worth it.

"No way," she said. "My mother had three and I'm the only fabulous one.  My brother is a screw up and my oldest sister--I won't even go there."

She was rather fabulous, I had to admit.

Then I went to breakfast for grits and sausage  and watched Fox News with an Asian-American woman who was following the news about Ebola with great interest.  Turns out, she's a nurse from Houston.

She was visiting to help her son get settled in for his new job here and was radiant.  "I love every minute of being with my son," she said.

We talked about what mothers talk about--our children.  When I told her I had four grandchildren, she beamed.  "You are so blessed!" she's said.  "I know you miss them when you're away."

"Without childbirth, where would be our future?" she said--apparently hearing the loud conversation with the desk woman and the man in overalls.

She expressed surprise that I had a daughter who's forty-three ("You look so young," she said)--exactly what one wants to hear on one's 66th birthday!

By the time we parted, we were wishing each other safe travels and I was wishing her safety when she returns to her work in the emergency room.  We swapped email addresses and will stay in touch.  I might see her when she and her husband come to San Antonio to see the Christmas lights.

When I got back to my room, I noticed that I had several Happy Birthday calls while I was out--which I will return on the road, soon as I take my bath.

I don't know how far I'll get, but I'm behind the storm, Carlene said.  I'll be a storm-chaser, take my time, and have a wonderful birthday on the road.

No comments: