Pages

Monday, March 20, 2017

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life

In this book, the late Amy Rosenthal writes about her life, arranged in alphabetical nuggets.  Some chunks are long, some are short, some include drawings and photographs. It's sort of like my blog--a totally random collection of musings and memories.

I'm going to try doing what she does on my blog for a few days, see how it goes. Please try it with me!  It's amazing how the alphabet gives a whole new architecture to memories you might not have thought about without the guiding letter.  Just free-style it and see what comes up!

A

             Art.

Married for a long time to an art professor, I was shy about talking about Art--the one with the capital A.  Art was, in his book, Serious (and Elitist, I think), only something the very few could make or appreciate.  Anyone who made things for the fun and exploratory joy of it was called a "dilettante" or a "Sunday painter"--someone who merely painted as a hobby.  I now know that Art with a capital A is available to all of us and should be part of every good day.

            Amateur

The word, amateur, literally means "to love to do."  I introduced myself at the book signing by saying I was an "amateur" photographer--then realized that sounded self-deprecating.  While I'm not a professional photographer by any stretch, I love doing few things as much as aiming my camera at people, old barns, rusty trucks,  and natural wonders

B

           Best Friends

You can buy a charm at any jewelry store that says "Best Friend" in silver or gold.  But I shy away from that phrase because more than one person can be "best" at the same time for different reasons.

Betty and I started calling ourselves best friends in about the third grade, though she was always there since kindergarten, the one I'd choose to sit beside and write notes to and invite to do things with.  She was the one who sat in the car with me after revivals and concluded, with me, that there must be a Plan B for people who were born in China and India and didn't have Jesus in their hearts.  At an early age, we vehemently questioned the words of the visiting preacher who told us that Hell was the destination for those folks.

Best friends are the people who say, "I've already eaten but I'll come sit with you while you eat."  Best friends are the ones who hear your same sorry story over and over and over (ad nauseum) while you try to figure out what to do--and tell you their  stories back.  Best friends are trustworthy and honest.  Best friends call and check on each other and make soup as needed and offer to pick you up at the airport.  Best friends protect each other's secrets.  Best friends know that what you say may not be the final word on the subject.



         


         


No comments: