Pages

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Wonderful Old Women

     Nine of the women featured in the book were present at today's library book signing--along with those who came to hear them speak.

     Each event is better than the one before, I think--and today was really something special.  A young woman came up to me after the event and was clearly moved by the women and their stories.  She said, "People my age rarely get to meet women of this generation and I am so inspired by every one of them.  They are so positive and full of life and such great speakers!"

     When they stand up to talk, they have the audience's complete attention though their life stories, their humor, and their advice for living a full life.

     Marie said, "My daddy always said, 'Marie, you can do anything you set your mind to!' and that's been the voice in my head for everything I've ever done."  She's helped her husband in his medical practice, owned a store, gotten a Ph.D (started when she was 68), reared four daughters, and written a book about the history of St. Phillips College.  "I've loved everything I've ever done," she said.  "I only do things I love!"



     Lea told us about three circles of love in her life--from living with Mama (her grandmother) all during her childhood, then marrying young, then her years of working in government.  "My top priority is God, my second priority is family, and my third is my country," she said.  Lea is a terrific story teller and has published two memoirs, Some Glad Morning and Many Faces of Love.



Lea's Birthday is May 13th
"And don't you forget it!"

She and Deb Field, the co-author of the book,
have the same birthday. 


     Marga (a Jungian therapist) told us that one of her greatest literary inspirations is the book, The Little Prince.  Like the Little Prince, she said, we should all have "something to water" every morning.  As a German woman born in the 30s, she talked about the impact of the war on her life and her lifelong hope for a united Europe.  "Behind every line of every story told today, there is so much more.  I am fascinated by these women and their stories and have read the book several times."



     Nareida  said, "I grew up in tenements with no windows, just a row of beds.  So when we moved to the projects, we thought we were living in Disneyland!  We had two windows!"  She left an abusive marriage with her children ("my best friends"), then started college and earned her Masters degree in her seventies--a woman who lights up any room with her joyous energy.



     Betty Ann, a 90-year-old therapist, recently retired, is moving from her pretty house across the street from Bonnie to the Forum.  "It's so much fun!" she said.  "I get to enjoy seeing what my children and grandchildren want of my things!  Fun and gratitude--that's what it's all about."





     Fun: that seems to be a common denominator in the talks I heard today.  These are women who believe that happiness is a choice and they are committed to finding some every day.

     Mary Esther, mother and wife of Congressman Joe Bernal--played the organ for the San Fernando Cathedral for many years and has enjoyed working in politics with her husband. She loves the memory of traveling to Rome and meeting the Pope personally.


Anita is an artist whose work (made with recycled objects) is now on exhibit at the Mercado. 
At barely 80, she is the youngest member of the group.



     Muna is a soft-spoken poet from Iraq--and loves wearing classy hats.  She's the one who--on picture day--served Bonnie and me the most beautiful and delicious brunch I've ever had--each dish like a painting made of fruits and vegetables and pastries.



       Diana has spent her life traveling and working all over the world--what a character she is!  "I haven't been a mother or a grandmother, but I have done all the things I set out to do," she said.  "I've had a French boyfriend, been in a movie, and written a book!"  (And she has a German husband--who was there today.) Her house is a veritable museum of art and crafts from her travels.



      And here's Bonnie--whose idea this was--my dear friend since my days in graduate school 36 years ago when she was my professor.  She set out to smash the stereotype of "little old women" and she did it, along with her co-author Deb Field--in ways that honor these women and all women.  I'm so happy to have been a part of this project!



      Thanks to Lorraine and her iPhone--I have a picture of the back of me doing what I love doing--photographing people:




No comments: