Pages

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Freda's sister, Laura

Sadly, Freda's beloved sister, Laura, died last Monday in New York at the age of 64.  She was the mother of twin daughters (Fanny and Molly) and sister to Freda and Alice.

An accomplished musician, mother, friend and sister, Laura obviously left her musical mark on countless students throughout her career.  Even late into her illness, she often performed and hosted parties.

In honor of Laura, friends are planning some living memorials--starting today with a small sweet olive tree.

Here's Freda beside the baby sweet olive.  The sign in Freda's yard says Choose Live Be Compassion--which strikes me (from Freda's stories) of how Laura lived her life.


Poems by Mary Oliver for Freda and Alice, Fanny and Molly:

           Love Sorrow

Love sorrow. She is yours now, and you must
take care of what has been
given. Brush her hair, help her
into her little coat, hold her hand,
especially when crossing a street. For, think,

what if you should lose her? Then you would be
sorrow yourself; her drawn face, her sleeplessness
would be yours. Take care, touch
her forehead that she feel herself not so

utterly alone. And smile, that she does not
altogether forget the world before the lesson.
Have patience in abundance. And do not
ever lie or ever leave her even for a moment

by herself, which is to say, possibly, again,
abandoned. She is strange, mute, difficult,
sometimes unmanageable but, remember, she is a child.
And amazing things can happen. And you may see,

as the two of you go
walking together in the morning light, how
little by little she relaxes; she looks about her;
she begins to grow.”

           When Death Comes 

When death comes
like the hungry bear in autumn;
when death comes and takes all the bright coins from his purse

to buy me, and snaps the purse shut;
when death comes
like the measle-pox

when death comes
like an iceberg between the shoulder blades,

I want to step through the door full of curiosity, wondering:
what is it going to be like, that cottage of darkness?

And therefore I look upon everything
as a brotherhood and a sisterhood,
and I look upon time as no more than an idea,
and I consider eternity as another possibility,

and I think of each life as a flower, as common
as a field daisy, and as singular,

and each name a comfortable music in the mouth,
tending, as all music does, toward silence,

and each body a lion of courage, and something
precious to the earth.

When it's over, I want to say all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.

When it's over, I don't want to wonder
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.

I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
or full of argument.

I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.



No comments: